Sunday, August 15, 2010

Neerpelt, Belgium

Well, after 3 ridiculous flights, I made it to the training place south of Eindhoven. My first flight was delayed from Indianapolis to Philadelphia which wasn't going to allow me to make my Philadelphia to Brussels flight in time. At this point, it was already too late to try and fly straight to Brussels from a nearby airport (i.e. Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, etc). So it looked like I was going to be 24 hours late to my first day of my new job due to a late plane.

Luckily, Bruce at the US Airways desk kept trying to get me and my luggage to Brussels in time. Unfortunately none of his alternatives were working out. Right before he was going to print my boarding pass for the next day, I asked, "What about a layover from Heathrow, London to Brussels?" Luckily it paid off and I took 3 miserable flights to finally end up in a mid 60degree Belgium that has yet to stop raining.

On the bright side, I did get a chance to meet several current employees who just got back from assignment and discussed some of their projects. One came back from Jordan and Cyprus; the other from Mozambique.  Both had great things to say about the company and had tons of great experiences they wanted to share. They also mentioned that training is actually fun here. Who knew training could end up being fun.

A couple of the other employees were all working in Africa and southern Russia which are two areas coincidentally that I do not wish to go to immediately. Their stories are all great but borderline dangerous--in a political sense which is a line I do not wish to cross.

Regardless, I am here to begin the first two weeks of training. I did not get a wink of sleep all the way over so I think I may iron my suit and hit the hay early (it's 8pm here now). Cheers.

Wyatt

1 comment:

  1. Yay you made it! (ps. Mom and Dad say hi..since I am speaking to them right now...:) )

    ReplyDelete