Sunday, August 22, 2010

Antwerp, Belgium

Well, it's been a week since I first got over here to Belgium and it's been pretty intense thus far. It finally stopped raining after 4 days and the sun came out! I think it got up to around 81 degrees yesterday so I was pretty excited to see that. Unfortunately there's no pool around to lay out next to but nonetheless, the weather was great.

Yesterday I headed out to Antwerpen (Antwerp in American) to visit a few coworker local friends. For those who think Grand Central in NYC is cool, you have to check out the Antwerp Train Station. It is definitely in the top 5 I've ever been to. After arriving in Antwerp, I met up with Tom, a life-long local. Tom was sitting on a new, black Vesper with two helmets next to him. I could only guess that I was going to ride behind another man all throughout Antwerp. Although riding behind a grown Flemish man was somewhat uncomfortable, he is President of the Gaylord Antwerpen Vesper Club so it was okay. This same man owns his own Corporate Sales Consultancy business, haha.

Although I had been to Antwerp before, I didn't really remember a lot of the sights. For those who are looking for great shopping and a clean, sophisticated Red Light District--Antwerpen is for you. Although partially clothed women staring at me through windows was somewhat discerning, we continued to walk through the area to the harbor area anyway. Outside this harbor area was a traveling circus group that appears every 4 years. They operate these giant puppets that are absolutely amazing. One of them stands more than 50 feet tall and came out of the water with a diving helmet on. It's somewhat creepy to see them blinking and breath but very cool to say the least.

Thousands of people crowded around the other puppet who was a sleeping girl. People waited for hours for her finally to wake up and walk around the town. Quite amusing and impressive for a group of carnies to operate a crane which controls the puppet.

I have to say, riding a Vesper is by far the best way to ever see a European town. You can literally go almost anywhere and it is incredibly fun. It would mostly like be 10 times more fun if you had a Dutch girl riding behind you but I digress...

Belgium itself is incredibly expensive. I have already spent way more than expected on food and transportation. Good news is, my student loan payments don't start until November so I at least have that time to prepare for a lessened income. I do however, find out what country I will be sent to hopefully by Wednesday. I am hoping for somewhere in Asia but I am not holding my breath. I know the company has recently made ground in Jamaica and Georgia. My next assignment is really what I am wanting to hear about.

I posted a few pictures of Antwerp and places outside our house in the Picasa gadget on the right side of the page. Until then, cheers.

Wyatt

1 comment:

  1. I've heard about those puppets. Looks pretty sweet and really dang freaky at the same time.

    ReplyDelete