Friday, August 12, 2011

Perth, Australia

An almost 6 hour flight later, we arrived at Perth. Most people don't realize that Australia is similar in width as the United States so traveling from Sydney to Perth is much like traveling from New York to Los Angeles. And even more similar, Perth is considered to be the more chill surfer city--much like LA.

Perth definitely had a much more laid back mentality which is nice in a social sense but sometimes frustrating when conducting business. We attended a private school event in Perth named Hale School which has a better campus than most colleges. Our company sponsored an event where about 15 other schools attended to see our software in action with Toshiba tablets. Let me tell you, I feel that if I let any of my sons go to a public school then I'm failing them as a father. The private education that those Australian boys were getting is absolutely astounding. They study everything from carpentry where they design and showcase tables; to taking a month course where they live outdoors in a sandy peninsula up north that the school owns. On this outdoor adventure, they utilize pioneering, forestry, and fishing--all in real life situations. I'd say that's a little bit better than taking junior high algebra, eh?

I'm still undecided if having an all boys school is more beneficial than co-ed. Obviously there's a few less distractions but I'm pretty sure if I attended an all boys private school growing up, I'd be even more awkward around girls than I am now.

As I already mentioned, the entire country is ridiculously expensive--regardless of what city you are in. That being said, you don't have to tip! You know how amazing it is to sign a receipt after a $50 meal and have no obligation or expectation to tip? The locals say waiters make at least minimum wage which is around $15/hr, so I don't feel bad.

Besides freaking out occasionally since they drive on the left side of the road--everything is going great so far. I'll update our Australian Football League (AFL) game that we went to in Melbourne soon.


Cheers.

Wyatt

1 comment: