Friday, September 17, 2010

Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Things have an interesting way of always working out, eh? You may ask, "Wyatt, why would you start out your post with a weird comment like that? Is there a story behind it?" The truth is, my last post started with the word 'well' and that's originally what I wanted to start this one out with it. So no, there is no weird story behind it, I just simply didn't know how to start my post--but now I have.

So I'm still Sofia, Bulgaria. Flew back in from Brussels two weeks ago and have been loving the post-communist life style for quite some time. The people are finally starting to warm up to me, the men at least. I no longer smile or say ridiculous phrases such as, "please, thank you, excuse me, you're welcome." Instead, I just look angry at the world, grunt, and be as rude as possible. It helps me fit right into society. I call it being cultural and understanding their way of life.

Biggest news that has happened is I witnessed my first earthquake! Supposedly there was a sizable quake back in Indiana when I was there but I was asleep so it doesn't count. But we were in a meeting with a milk processing company outside of the U.S. Embassy (don't worry, they don't process the milk near the embassy), then all of the sudden the whole building started to shake. At first I thought it was bad indigestion, but then I realized I did take my Metamucil earlier than morning so that definitely couldn't be it. That's usually the train of thought that my body goes through. First: make sure what ever happened wasn't directly caused by one of my bodily functions. Second: check the area for human remains. Luckily for the people of Sofia, it was only an earthquake and not one of my bodily functions.

Of course now my parents (correction--Mom) are ashamed that I am once again talking about one of my bowel movements instead of living/working abroad. Well, to be honest, Sofia could be more interesting. Not more interesting than one of my bowel movements of course, but you get my whiff... err drift. Sofia is a great city, don't get me wrong. But unless you like clubbing every night or stargazing at the reflection of lights off of abandoned communist blocks, you're out of luck. But the food is great and cheap, which is always good when you're a broke college student fresh out of college. Thank you once again Anderson University for an amazing education but also an equally amazing amount of debt.

Originally we were planning to go to Budapest, Hungary or Thessaloniki, Greece this weekend. The driving ended up being too much and we have a jam-packed schedule next week. We meet with big companies such as Astra Zeneca, HP, Kaufland, and Novatris Pharma. Good news is Bulgaria has a national holiday on Wednesday so we don't have any meetings that day. Instead, we stay cooped up in our luxury hotel doing prep and background work for the upcoming meetings. I asked if they have fireworks, food, or star spangled banner festivals going on anywhere but I couldn't really get a straight answer out of anyone. Man I hate when people try to shove their culture down others' throats.

Well, I think that's about it for me. If you didn't get any of my jokes or need things broken down further I have the nursing home version available for download, just feel free to video Skype me to ask for it. Just remember I'm 6-9hours ahead of you. Hope all is well on your end.

Cheers.

-Wyatt

1 comment:

  1. glad to see ur enjoying life haha
    keep posting man im loving it

    ReplyDelete